There is certainly no shortage of theatres in Ghent, so if you want to catch a performance, you're sure to find something interesting. Most performances take place in Dutch. More information about the Ghent theatre and the various performances can be found in one of the locations listed below (cinemas, cafés, bars and foyers).
- Vooruit- Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 23 - Distance 1.3km
This building once belonged to the Socialist Movement, just like 'Ons Huis' on the Vrijdagmarkt, built in the eclectic style. Since then it has served as a theatre. Meanwhile, the Vooruit has also become one of Ghent's biggest producers of live art: music, dance, theatre and performances. You can go there almost every night for one of their performances. Box Office: Tuesday to Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. T: 09 267 28 28
- NTGent Schouwburg - St. Baafsplein 17 - Distance 700m
Another large and well-known theatre is the NTGent, centrally located and the ideal place to obtain detailed information about the Ghent theatre. Tickets: from Tuesday to Friday from 10h to 18h, on Saturday from 14h to 18h. T: 09 225 01 01
- Flanders Opera - Schouwburgstraat 3 - Distance 900m. Tickets: from Tuesday to Saturday from 11h to 18h. T: 09 268 10 11
In Belgium, films are subtitled in French and Dutch, and played in their original language. If you feel like a quiet afternoon or evening, or if you've had enough of the rainy days, a trip to the cinema might be a good idea.
- Sphinx- St. Michielshelling 3 - Distance 300m. http://www.sphinx-cinema.be T: 09 225 60 86
- Kinepolis - Ter Platen - Distance 2.2km. http://kinepolis.be/nl/ T: 09 265 06 00
- Studio Skoop - Sint-Annaplein 63 - Distance 1.5km. http://www.studioskoop.be/ T: 09 225 08 45
- Overpoortstraat - Distance 2km
Thanks to the presence of Ghent University, you can also dive into the nightlife in Ghent. If you prefer cheap drinks rather than a cosy atmosphere, then you should definitely go to the student district of Overpoort. Here you will find nightclubs, bars and fryers, open until the early hours.
- Downtown - Distance 350m
In the city centre (near Graslei, Vrijdagmarkt and Korenmarkt) you will find a mix of simple, cosy bars and cafes. Admission is free and most locations are open until 2 to 3 in the morning.
Ghent is known for its Gentse Feesten (Ghent Festivities), a ten-day music festival that takes place every year in July. Fortunately, you can also enjoy live music in the many bars and cafés in case you visit the city outside the festival period.
- Hot Club De Gand - Schuddevisstraatje - Distance 350m: In this well hidden jazz cafe you can enjoy live performances.
- Hotsy Totsy - Hoogstraat - Distance 140m: In this 'artist café' you can enjoy live jazz music from 21h onwards on Thursday evening.
- Charlatan - Vlasmarkt 6 - Distance 900m: Charlatan has become one of the most favorite locations thanks to the many live performances.
- Café Trefpunt - At St-Jacobs 18 - Distance 800m: On Monday evening the performances at Café Trefpunt are often of high quality because the artists want to impress the café bosses as they are also responsible for the organisation of the Ghent Festivities.